Purpose of the Chapter
Read the Chapter Rules of Procedure (PDF, 47.06KiB; last change: 6.1.2013., 03:09).
The aims of our Chapter are in accordance with those of SIAM. The objectives of SIAM, as established in the Certificate of Incorporation, are:
- To further the application of mathematics to industry and science.
- To promote basic research in mathematics leading to new methods and techniques useful to industry and science.
- To provide media for the exchange of information and ideas between mathematicians and other technical and scientific personnel.
Our Chapter, however, has its own specific purposes which are to:
- Increase interaction between students working in applied mathematics and related disciplines, for example, chemistry, physics and and engineering (within and outside of the School of Mathematics).
- Provide opportunities for participants in chapter activities to develop a wide range of skills, for example communication skills when giving talks, and leadership, and teamwork skills in organizing chapter activities.
- Maintain links with industry.
- Develop and foster links and involvement between current, future and past chapter members and participants in activities, to allow sharing of experiences of working in mathematics, awareness of current work and information related to careers and job opportunities. An example activity might be a mathematics contest in modelling to increase involvement of undergraduates.